• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Can you explain the changes to the eligibility requirements to the ccs exam?

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Here is what the requirements are at this time:
Eligibility Requirements

Effective January 1, 2013 the eligibility requirements will be the following:
CCS - Eligibility FAQ Document
Candidates must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:

• By Credential:RHIA®, RHIT®, or CCS-P®; OR
  • By Education:Completion of a coding training program that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding; OR
  • By Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of related coding experience directly applying codes; OR
  • By Credential with Experience: CCA® plus one (1) year of coding experience directly applying codes; OR
  • Other Coding credential from other certifying organization plus one (1) year coding experience directly applying codes.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The way they verify is most likely like the AAPC and that is to call. If you send them a document I doubt they will call to back it up but they could. It would be easy if you have another certification plus one year of coding. They can check status on-line with the AAPC and they you send something that shows you have experience from an employer. A transcript can be used if you attended a school.

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Let's see if all the schooling that I had will make AHIMA happy. I went to school and got an Associate's degree for medical administration management which included medical coding, anatomy and physiology, and medical terminology. I then took a pharmacy technician course which included pharmacology. Last, I took a PMCC course which included ICD-9-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and the instructors gave us handouts on anatomy and physiology and medical terminology. I then had some experience (about 5 or 6 months) in medical coding. Will that make little AHIMA happy or do I need more schooling?

jessicat35

CPC, CCS-P
Blitzer
CCO Club Member
:p Carolyn you are too funny! If only we all had so much to show for our time as grown ups! lol